Historic insignia of the Order of the Crown of Thorns

The Abbey-Principality has recently acquired an example of the insignia of the Order of the Crown of Thorns from the early twentieth-century. This is the insignia of a chevalier (knight). It was manufactured by the firm of Schubauer es Miticzky of Budapest, Hungary, and is presented in a specially moulded case. There are few known members of the Order in Hungary; the most prominent was Archbishop Count Victor J. Alexander de Kubinyi (1873-1966), who served in the Apostolic Episcopal Church.

The design is in accordance with other known examples of this period, and the high quality of the gilding and enamelling is notable.

HistoricOCT

About johnkersey

Historian, musician and educationalist.
This entry was posted in News, San Luigi Gazette. Bookmark the permalink.